Monday, February 4, 2008

Valuable documents

Tax time is right around the corner and thinking of that reminds me of an article I recently read about the things a church treasurer should have on hand. It might be helpful to look through this list for your own church and make sure you and the church board know where each item is located:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/yc/2008/001/4.12.html

Among the ten items listed in this article was one item that struck a cord with me as a layperson who has spent quite a number of hours assisting in a local church office: a list of members.

It reminded me of the day I was looking for the book that listed all the charter members of the church for use in a church history someone was attempting to write. I could not find the book although I knew it existed because I had been the one to enter the names originally.

After searching unsuccessfully for some time, I mentioned my quest to the pastor, who responded, " Oh, that book. I threw it away when I was cleaning out the office one day. I figured it was not of any value to us now."

Needless to say, the lesson here is DON'T TOSS ITEMS OF HISTORICAL VALUE!!

No comments: